Saturday 1 September 2012

CULTURAL CARNIVAL

The culture with which we are bought up, the traditional art, dance and folk songs which we would have enjoyed from heart and nodded our head and danced in childhood days and the patriotic for our own land and sports event, everything is so admired and respected. This is true especially in India though there are diverse followers, philosophic path, food pattern, festivals and celebrations and this could also be appreciated by the dressed up style. The affection, adoration for such rich culture across one nation is not only in India but it is true for every cultural and ethnic group existent worldwide. 





To name few are like South Africa known for oldest art objects in world, for wine brewers and for tribal group speaking Khosian language, they are also know for sports (Rugby, soccer and cricket) next to United states. The history of king’s dynasty, their thirst for ruling other edge kingdom took over the historical concept in India. Even though every national group has their individual perception, all happen to unite when it comes to celebrate culture via dance and music, whether it is Australia, India, China, Spain, Italy, California or any other nation to name. What if somebody is given an opportunity to learn and know so many cultural affections on a single platform? Many universities in United states, Malaysia, Australia, London provide a life time opportunity to relish different cultural groups, to know how culture have evolved over time and understand its importance. I had in my geography text books explaining the history of formation of continents, how humans evolve over millions of years and what type of foodstuff and land practices were adapted initially. Now when I got a chance to personally experience and learn about individuals of every continent, I did not miss the opportunity rather, it was a memorable day in my timeline.



I will be sharing my 1st overseas experience and meet up with diverse cultural backgrounds. This blog write up is about CU International festival held at Boulder, CO in 2012. I had never met anyone outside India and was hopping to attend this festival when I heard about it. This was just after 25 days of my arrival in Boulder. We know festivals are just like how in India we see during durga, ganesha, shivratri, depavali, Krishna festivals, and such celebrations end up with sacred prayers, sweets (prasadam) and food. Though CU festival was eventually different, food was the commonly found entity which attracted me 10 fold times. CU festival is an event, conducted every year in very few universities which would encourage and promote students to celebrate diversity and represent their culture on a single platform. In 2012 international festival, I could see more than 500 students at one place either standing behind tables, or rushing to practice dance or music or skit and few were representing their own cultural food, explaining how it is special in their country and its nutritious value. When I was tasting each and every food over there, I did not miss Chole and Naan special combo from North Indian states while a lady came and asked me “are you an Indian?”. I nodded my head and she was happily praising Taj Mahal and its sculpture. I also exchanged my view about her country (South Part of United States), atmosphere, disciplines and friendly look. Not to forget, I enjoyed International cuisine from approx. 24 ethnic countries serving rice (Africa),  Jiaozi (China), Natilla Colombiana (Colombia),Chole with naan (India), Aloo ka bharta ( Pakistan), Christmas Borscht (Russia), Kabsa (Oman), Flautas (Mexico) and Victorica sponge cake (united kingdom) and many many more tasteful, delicious dishes. Few cuisines were very special to me as it was my first try and even today I remember the unique flavor. Food also represented their cultural value and respect together with their friendly gesture. 


On the other side students were also found performing traditional dance, music, and act on a stage. To name few were Cultural caravan belly dance, Saudi Arabia dance students’ performance, Arcinda gamelon orchestra, Shaolin Hung Mei Kung Fu- lion dance (this was my favorite), Performances by Persian and Indian students association, Samurai Japan, Poppin dance, Heer musical band and many more. Here we not only enjoy music but also a fortuitous occasion to meet people and know, for example, I had never seen the lion dance before and it is performed with so delightful and admiration. The day was looking like whole world under one roof. I also enjoyed the dressing pattern of all ethnic group and happy to see Indian pyjama and saree as well. At the end of the festival there was an opening to share their national special event or to share about the dress code which is followed from ancestral time. I am happy to share few pictures that I took on that day and waiting for another event where I can participate and share my words here again.


Thanks for reading
A















No comments:

Post a Comment